Friends of Didcot Girls' School
Friends of Didcot Girls’ School are an independent group of parents, carers, staff and supporters from the local community wishing to offer appropriate support or help to the school.
We are a group of individuals who want to work together to provide the best we can for both the students and DGS.
The start of another school year and we have already raised more funds for Friends of DGS to help assist in supporting the school. At the end of last term we were able to assist in the purchase of a new piano for the music department, the new curtains we bought are hanging in Cockcroft and the sports teams are proudly wearing their new kit also purchased by FoDGS. We have also just agreed a bid for new stage lighting in Cockcroft Hall. As you can see yoursupport is truly appreciated by FoDGS, and the staff and students at Didcot Girls’ School really benefit.
Our Friends 500 Draw has raised £2165 over the last school year. We now have over 200 members, but there is still space of course for many more to join! Please do download the membership form from the Didcot Girls’ School website or pick up a form from Pupil Services.
The Quiz and Curry Night was a great success with over 90 people in attendance. Fun was had by all, and over £620 was raised.
Plans are now underway for our Pamper Evening and Christmas Shopping Event. The date for this has changed, and will now be held on Thursday 7th December, 7pm-10pm. If you are an artisan or beauty therapist and would like a table please email email@example.com or phone the school office during school hours and ask to speak to a member of FoDGS. Entry will be free, with 15-20 beauty treatments available for you at very reasonable prices. We have lots of lovely stalls already lined up for you to peruse while you enjoy a glass or two of mulled wine and a mince pie!
Tickets will soon be on sale for our Christmas Raffle. The First Prize is £200 cash, and we have many other excellent prizes coming in. A full list will soon be available on our website and Facebook page. If you own a company or small business and would like to donate a raffle prize, we would love to hear from you. Please email us on the address listed above, or phone the school office and ask to speak to a member of FoDGS. We are happy to advertise your company or business on our Website, Facebook Page and on our Twitter feed. Last year we raised over £3000 through our raffle, and would love to exceed this amount this time.
Another way of helping to raise funds for DGS is to sign up to www.EasyFundraising.org.uk. This can be done in less than two minutes by clicking on the link on the DGS website. Then when you use most major
shopping websites you just activate the link and money will automatically be given to DGS.
Since the success of DGS Fest back in September 2016 we have been able to provide over £4500 of funding for the following additional resources for the school, they are either already in use or have been ordered and we are awaiting delivery:
- A greenhouse to help students studying biology to grow plants.
- Help to repair a badge press in the Resistant Materials department.
- Desk top easels and an A1 drying rack to help the Art students extend their creativity.
- An SLR camera for the whole school to use to capture memories and occasions.
- A video camera for the School Council to create promotional and charity videos and for the whole school to record events and work as needed.
- Reading prizes for the Reading for Pleasure competitions.
- Committee badges for the year group committees to allow students and staff to recognise representatives.
- Two outdoor notice boards to enable students to see clearly information and events that are taking place in the DGS community.
- House Trophies for House competitions that take place throughout the year.
- A gallery hanging system to professionally display students’ art.
- A laptop in Learning Support for students with mobility or motor difficulties, dyslexia and students who are recovering from hand/arm surgery/injury.
- Additionally, with very little work we are able to continue raising funds for DGS with the Friends 500 lottery.
Since re-launching it in September we already have over £550 waiting to be used on other school projects. Please sign up to support DGS, for only £2 per month or £24 annually in advance it really is so easy to do. Please find the application form in the documents section of this page
Thank you for your continued support.
We would also like to bring to your attention the re-launch of Friends 500. Please see the application form and rules below for further details on winning a monthly 1st prize of up to £250.00 for only £2.00 per month!
|1st Prize||Mrs A Cohen||DGS172||£99.50|
|2nd Prize||Mrs J Pearson||DGS155||£59.70|
|3rd Prize||Mrs T Mock||DGS144||£39.80|
Another way to help with fundraising for the school is to sign up to EasyFundraising.org.uk. When you shop online just click on the Easy Fundraising link on the Didcot Girls’ School Homepage and take two minutes to fill in your details, then use the pop-up reminder to see if the online store you want to use supports the scheme.
We also plan to support events that the school puts on by offering refreshments and are open to any other fundraising ideas that YOU may have! Didcot Girls' School would like to thank The Midcounties Co-operative for their generous fundraising and sponsorship.
Thank you for supporting the Friends of DGS and Didcot Girls’ School
Last Updated: 8th May 2017
Should you have any queries please contact Lisa Turner on: