School Health Nurse
The School Nurse at Didcot Girls’ School is Anita Owen. Anita works on site Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 8.30am to 4pm during the term time.
Secondary schools across Oxfordshire now have a School Health Nurse based on the school site. Their role is to work in partnership with school staff to deliver the Healthy Child Programme, providing children and young people with public health interventions which improve health and wellbeing and enhance future outcomes.
The Public Health England priorities they deliver include:
- Emotional health and wellbeing
- Puberty and Sexual Health
- Personal Health and Relationships
- Healthy Eating and Physical Activity
- Risky behaviours e.g. smoking cessation, alcohol advice
In addition, they also provide:
- Immunisations in accordance with the UK childhood immunisation schedule
- Support across transitional stages of school life
- Referrals and signposting to specialist services e.g. PCAMHS, Early Intervention Services, Contraception and Sexual Health Clinics, GP
- School-based contraception and sexual health services in line with legal frameworks, specialist training and Patient Group Directives
Duty of Care
The School Nursing Service is a confidential service for Children and Young People. This means that they can discuss personal information in the trust that their information will not be shared without their permission. However, we would pass on information if we felt it was necessary to protect the young person, or to protect somebody else. Where possible, we would always try to discuss this with the young person first. On every occasion we advise children and young people to inform their parents and carers when they have been to see the School Nurse
Accessing the School Health Nurse
Children and young people can access the School Health Nurse via several methods:
- Attending drop-in at lunch this is an open daily access where no appointment is necessary
- Self-referral via slips outside the office
- A referral made by a member of staff
- Referral requested by parents and carers
- Parents and carers can also ask for advice by telephoning the school
How to contact the School Health Nurse
The School Health Nurse's office is upstairs in the Cockroft building.
Self-referral slips and a secure post box can be found by the office on the first floor above the library.
Call the main Didcot Girls’ School number on 01235 812092
For further information: