Latest News

U13 football team crowned county champions!

Posted on: 10/02/2023

On Friday 10th February, the Under 13 Football team travelled to Oxford City FC to play in the County Cup final against Headington School. The squad have had a fantastic run in the national cup getting down to the last 32, as well as being unbeaten in the run-up to the county cup final overcoming; Henry Box 9-0,  Wallingford 6-2, Wheatley Park 6-2 and Oxford Academy 5-2 in the semi-final. 

The team were eager for the final; having had such a good run in form, we knew that if we could execute our game plan and press as a team, we could take the title. 

The game started off at lightning pace and the ever-reliant strike-force of Honey and Tegen caused havoc amongst Headington's defence with Headington calling on their goalkeeper multiple times to deny the dynamic duo with some superb saves. Central defensive midfielder Mae did a fantastic job in reading the game and cutting out through-balls to keep the Headington attack at bay. Vice-captain Izzy didn't give the Headington attack an inch of ground whilst makeshift right-back Mia swept up any loose through-balls. With the team now settling into the game and dominating across the pitch, two quick goals from Tegen put Didcot Girls' School deservedly 2-0 up at half time. 

Going into the break on the front foot, we knew we needed the same intensity and flair in the second half and the team gave just that! Full-backs Alice and Mae linked up nicely with wingers Lacey and Charlotte whose killer pace created a flurry of opportunities resulting in DGS' third goal coming from Mae. 

With legs beginning to tire, we introduced super subs Molly,  Esmae and Martha to the game and their additions soon paid off as Tegen grabbed her third, sealing her hat-trick of the afternoon after some wonderful support play from Honey. 

Headington didn't allow their heads to drop and were in desperate search for a consolation goal. Goalkeeper Evv commanded her box, coming off her line quickly to deny Headington's attacks but they eventually found the back of the net to bring the game to 4-1. Quick to respond, captain Honey eventually got her well-deserved goal to bring the game to a close at 5-1. 

As the final whistle blew, the squad bundled over to join their parents and families in celebrating such a brilliant win before lifting the trophy

Congratulations to the squad for what has been a brilliant season. I look forward to seeing what is next for this talented bunch of footballers. 

Back to News ListPreviousNext



Back to Top